Tuesday, April 28, 2009

We are renovating! For a week now we have been without the use of our washer, dryer, stove and basically our entire kitchen. The first project is replacing the old vinyl with the awesome tile that took me three months to pick out and next is the counter tops.

Everything thing is going well, except for a few problems tiling through the six doorways involved in the project. The contractor is even nice, considerate, and does an excellent job. But, (you knew that was coming didn't you) no one can describe to you how renovations can be so upsetting to a household. Laundry had to be done at the laundromat 13 miles away; a load was forgotten in the washer so we had to go back again to rescue and dry it while we twiddled our thumbs. My keys are never in the same place and I can only hope we've kept up on the mail. The fridge is on the back porch, the washer and dryer are in the foyer, and the stove, along with pots and pans, drawers and tons of plastic containers have taken over the dining room. There are so many decisions to make along the way that as soon as I get a project started I am called away to approve a threshold, figure out a trim piece or make sure the grout is the right color. Plus the cleaning and straightening that needs to be done when the job is finished will be monumental.

Today might be the day he finishes up but I'm not getting my hopes up. As we near the end my advice is never go into a renovation expecting everything to turn out as planned.

No comments: